IF YOU'RE NEW HERE

Then you're probably confused as all hell as to what's going on. Click here to read the introduction. Then feel free to browse the archive; take note that this blog runs in reverse chronological order, so if you're starting from the beginning, that means you'll start from the oldest posts.

16 January 2010

Posts #416-420: 22 April 2000

Post #416, by PSI322

This post is entirely content-free; it's PSI performing her supreme-dictator-for-life duties. Which makes it one of the more fun posts.
(I fear that, with all the posting that had been going on here so rapidly, I have not payed close enough attention to the content of some of the posts and storylines, and for that, I apologize.
You can tell she's extremely upset because she typed 'payed' when she meant 'paid'.

Why anyone ever thought appeasing Falcon24's neverending hate and anger was worth their time... can't say. And I say that as someone who did that very thing quite a bit, back in the day.
On the Interactive Fiction, a rule exists that prevents people from being able to kill off other people's ACs.
No one attempted to kill off anyone else's AC. Why are we talking about this? Oh, right... appeasement of wrath.
People are allowed to state, to some degree, when other people are injured, but usually, it is the author who decides this about his or her own AC, since most people feel uncomfortable stating this about a character that is not their own.)
Because people are freakin' sissies. God forbid anyone should have to do some creative writing to work their way out of predicaments. Let's bitch and moan and act all emo and hope the softhearted administrator bails us out instead.
(Furthermore, after rereading all of this more carefully, I can't understand why I neglected to see what's been going on here.
It might be because nothing is going on here, and therefore you have to reread it several times over to make yourself see something, because you want to avoid Falcon24 going even more berserk than usual.

Seriously, I've been reading this whole thing more closely than anyone ever has before, and... there's nothing here except the usual spate of bad writers doing what bad writers do. Good writers ought to either ignore them or just expend three sentences undoing the damage, not bitch and moan about it.
A back-and-forth style war ha been raging between several author characters, it seems, which is quite normal to see, except that this seems to have snowballed to a breaking point for several authors and ACs.
Then show them where the exit is!

PSI took it way too personally when people weren't at least 95 out of 100 on the happy-o-meter. guruzeth, on the other hand, if he were alive, he would have told them all to shut up and sit down, and then ignored their existence.
The posts quite blatantly show ACs trying to attack and get back at other ACs for hurting them in a previous post. Now, technically, there is nothing wrong with inter-AC combat, but when tensions are running high as they seem to be, intervention may be necessary. That is, I'm sorry that I didn't step in and tell all of you to cool it a little bit.)
PSI322 method: It's all my fault you're a bunch of morons! :( Please don't make me feel even worse than I already do :(

guruzeth method: SHUT UP OR I WILL KILL YOU

They made a great team, don't you think?
(I suggest that this hostile battle between these ACs cease immediately and that people allow their tempers to cool down somewhat. I hope that no one here ends up disliking Interactive Fiction or authors who post here over this storyline.)
Honestly, PSI, IF is probably better off without these kinds of guys.
(Basically, what I mean to say is, cool it, everyone, and don't kill or severely injure other people's ACs. Do that kind of thing to your own characters if you so choose.)

(I should have seen this earlier and done something about it, but I didn't, and for that, I sincerely apologize from the bottom of my heart. I hope that things can return to normal around here and that no one suffers because of this.)

~PSI322, Administrator - Starmen.Net
You have to admit: This is the very first time you've ever heard of the supreme-dictator-for-life of any internet forum talking anything like this, and being serious.



Post #417, by Chris

(People, keep in mind that we've just been assigned a new goal. We must now defeat the eight guardians. Currently, we have people spread out across the world in little groups. I suggest that each group try to deal with the guardians nearest them. Luna's group, for example, should try to take care of Titanic Ant and Mondo Mole. Those who are near Saturn Valley can attack Trillongage Sprout. Juliana and I will work our way south of Scaraba, and assist against Electro Specter and Carbon Dog.)

(People, let's work together here. We now have a mission in the IF; I suggest we try to accomplish it.)
Not to put too fine a point on it, Chris, but go jump in a lake. If you weren't an administrator, everyone would be all over your ass for trying to boss around other people's AC's. It's none of your business.
"Ah, Juliana, I think that we have a problem. We don't have much money, nor do we have much that we can trade. Except for our bracelets. Those have some value; I expect we can get weapons in exchange for these."
Sure. That should buy you each a Snake bag, which is the only weapon sold here.
"Good idea. I'll go look around and see who'll pay the most for them, you see if you can find a weapons seller." Juliana replied.

They split up, wandering around the market. Chris soon found Ness the SkittleBoy, who gave them some more money and supplies to keep them going. Chris thanked him and soon found a weapons merchant.
I have significant doubts that was anything close to what NessTSB had in mind. Maybe it's just me, but isn't this kind of thing even more offensive than what Falcon24 and 3164 were doing to each other?
He motioned for Juliana to come over, and before long, they had traded in the Silver Bracelet and Ness's gift for a pair of Big League Bats.
Which aren't sold in Scaraba.
They also traded in their remaining Gold Bracelet for two Silver Bracelets, and were equipped to travel.

"Look, we need to defeat the eight guardians. I left Sir back at the Tenda Cave, and I think Anthadd is there too. We can go join up with them and defeat Electro Specter and Carbon Dog." Chris said.

"Sounds like a plan." Juliana replied, using Chris's now famous phrase.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
And so, the two of them spent the night in the Scaraba hotel, and then hopped aboard Dungeon Man to get back to their boat...
I am reeling that Chris, plus others, are actually going along with this 'we have to kill the Sanctuary bosses to save the world, and pogopunk, who has global telepathy, is our leader' thing. I'm floored. In any case, this post seems like a demarcation point to me: The party is officially over; this is now officially a save-the-world IF thread.



Post #418, by Little Yoshi
At this point, Chris is posting, hopping off the computer, and Liyoshi is immediately hopping on it to post. This post was ten minutes behind Chris's, which is probably about how long it took him to type it up.
(Sorry, Falcon, but when someone starts tracking me down, and them starts taking pot shots at Luna, Nathan, and me with a cannon, I don't feel very comfortable sitting around and being blasted. I apoligize, I thought this would be a simple 1 vs. 3 battle)
For once in my life, I kinda agree with Liyoshi on that one.
"Guys, I've got a plan. Luna, you take a group to either Giant Step or Lilliput Steps, and Pikachu, you take a group to the other location." Tim said.
Tim's going to attempt to forcibly split Luna and 3164 up. I'd predict that will end comically badly, except with 3164 involved I can't predict how the hell it might turn out.
"So, who goes where, and with who?" Nathan asked.
"Well, I guess it could sorta work out like a Gym skirmish or something with Pikachu and Luna being Team Captains, kinda," Tim replied.
"Tim, you wanna come with me?" Luna said.
"I can't, sorry. I must duel someone/thing...alone. I know I'm being called to battle it." Tim replied.
"ALONE?!" Pikachu exclaimed.
"Don't even think about following me!" Tim said. "Sorry I can't help out here, but I MUST go."
And with that, Tim got into his boat.
I have to be honest, Timmy: I don't expect you'll have to worry about anyone trying to follow you.

If this is the old 'tell them not to follow me hoping they (Luna in particular) will follow me because they're contrarians' trick, only one of the oldest in the book, then it's just a smidgen ill-considered.
(If you guys don't like this idea, just say so, and please don't argue about who goes where and with who, I really don't wanna be responsible for crashing this IF)
No, apparently, your brother is trying to take that responsibility.



Post #419, by Pikachu3164

Okay. Falcon, I'm very sorry. I didn't think you'd get this mad at it.
Don't worry. Just work at it for six or eight years and maybe you won't be quite such a n00b.
But, you did attack other people first. And, if you attack another AC, someone has to get hurt eventually. It's impossible to get into a fight involving shooting stars at someone and no one getting hurt.
It's plenty possible when everyone involved has Infinity Plus One HP! Your violation of that basic tenet of AC-dom is what set this whole thing off. But, once again, I kinda agree with the 'Falcon started it' point.This did kinda play out as, well... what did Falcon expect would be the result of attacking three AC's, two of whom are manned by bad writers? It seems like he was surprised when they didn't simply bend to his will, and threw a hissy fit, doesn't it?
But, I am sorry. And that I hate Pikachus thing, I'll go fix that when I'm done here. Sorry.
Oh, and Tim, I did know why Falcon attacked you guys, but Pikachu didn't.
I hate it when I make people mad...
That makes you Falcon24's favorite kind of person in the world.
Oh, and Pikachu will go to Twoson with everyone else.

[This message has been edited by Pikachu3164 (edited 04-22-2000).]




Post #420, by Tengu Man/Makron

"Just nice... we have to deal with some problems with Guardians." the referee said, annoyed with being contacted telepathically.
You and me both, brother.
"They must have come back when Giygas left." Paula pondered.

"I prefer we take out the worst of the problems: which would be those pesky canines, Carbon Dog and Diamond Dog." Jeff said.
On the basis of how tough each boss is at normal levels when you fight it, the list of Sanctuary bosses sorted by difficulty is:

1. Titanic Ant
2. Trillionage Sprout
3. Carbon Dog/Diamond Dog
4. Shrooom!
5. Plague Rat of Doom
6. Thunder and Storm
7. Mondo Mole
.
.
.
3,729. Electro Specter

If you don't use Paralysis on Mondo Mole, he's easily the toughest. Basically, once you have access to Big/Multi bottle rockets, everything's a cakewalk.

Of course, if you're an AC, everything's a cakewalk anyway, so you can just do it in whatever order you please.
"One of them is neutral, just so you know." said the referee.

"Who?" asked Ness.

"Diamond Dog. Carbon Dog has control on his body. If we beat Carbon again, Diamond will be freed." the ref answered.
That... is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
"Who are you anyways?" asked Paula.

"Just called me... um... "Darth"." said the ref.
You know, because it worked so well for Marty McFly.
"Ok... Darth... should we get Carbon Dog first?" asked Mani.

"Well, Luna's group is closer to a guardian than we. If Ness is willing to take us to the Lost Underworld, yes." Darth answered.

"Then it's a "yes"." said Ness, "Get ready everyone..."

Ness teleported the group to the Lost Underworld...
I find it wholly preposterous that Team Ness would so readily accept a weirdo in Darth Maul makeup into their group, but hey, dreaming is what IF's all about.
(Our group will handle Carbon, K?)
What if we say no? Tengu is pretty much just betting nobody will.
[This message has been edited by Tengu Man/Makron (edited 04-22-2000).]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts by Author