IF YOU'RE NEW HERE

Then you're probably confused as all hell as to what's going on. Click here to read the introduction. Then feel free to browse the archive; take note that this blog runs in reverse chronological order, so if you're starting from the beginning, that means you'll start from the oldest posts.

06 November 2011

Posts #836-840: 5 May 2000

Post #836, by Falcon24

(Guys, this Lavos battle should really be personal. I mean, not just anyone can come up and say "5273650 HP damage, it's dead."
This is a true and correct point. Not so much by official rule as because it's obviously stupid and other writers will overrule it. IF mostly governs itself.
Plus, I don't think it's appreciated if you state that other people's AC's are doing minimal or no damage, when it is their fight in the first place.
Also somewhat true. It's an OK thing to do if your AC is in the same plotline as the AC in question, but doing anything with ACs not in your plotline is bad form.
Please, just let this one alone. Maybe later it'll be an "open fight", ok?)
But this part is most certainly not true or correct. All fights are open; otherwise it wouldn't be Interactive Fiction. It's just a question of how to enter the fight. Falcon24 and Tengu Man do not have the privilege of deciding who's worthy to join their plotlines.

There's an interesting bit of IF-as-culture under the surface here that I might write more about later if I can organize my thoughts on it. That is, alliances and enmities get formed and shaped via the IF writing itself and certain individuals (in the Gathering, PSI322, Luna, Falcon24 and Tengu now, soon to be joined by guruzeth) are set up as the implicitly acknowledged alpha dogs that more or less call the shots.




Post #837, by guruzeth

"Mmm, Scaraba," guruzeth mused. "It's been a long time since I've been there. But very well, if we can find a boat and a map we should be able to make it there without much trouble." He rose and brushed the sand off himself.
What? You have never been to Scaraba. The whole point to this thing is everyone being shocked to discover the EarthBound world exists on earth, and exploring it. guruzeth is playing the Tengu Man card of pretending to be the expert, when there is no plausible support for such a claim.
"But where can we find a boat?" asked Tracy. "Or a map?"

"Haha, this is Eagleland!" said guruzeth. "Someone's always looking to make a buck around here, so I'm sure there's a boat dealership nearby, and they'll sell maps too."
In a world where a single banana costs $5, I would imagine a map would run about $250 and a boat something like $75 million. Also, I'm pretty sure this is technically not Eagleland, which is confined to the Onett-through-Fourside area. Though I guess it is technically the Eagleland Island PSI322 originally came up with.
"Should we just walk along the beach until we find something then?" asked Tracy.
When in doubt, walk along the beach until you find something. Or die of thirst. Can't drink salt water.
"Have you eaten yet?" asked guruzeth. "Now's your chance if you haven't, I don't know how long of a walk it might be."
Apparently he hasn't been paying close attention to Traceh's posts. She has mentioned the stellar buffet several times now.
"Yeah, I ate not too long ago," said Tracy. "Should we go down that way?" She pointed into the distance.

guruzeth pulled his compass.
Of course guruzeth always carries a compass. What kind of Supreme Dictator For Life would he be otherwise?
"northeast..? Might as well. I'm sure we'll find something."

So off they went across the beach. They walked for more than an hour, as the city faded behind them, before Tracy looked up. "Hey! Boats!"
This is called "cutting to the chase." If Chris or PSI322 were writing this it would be another ten or twelve posts yet before any boats made an appearance.




Post #838, by Pikachu3164

((Mog, I need to know where you get the tenth melody. If Pikachu gets 10 melodies on his Sound Stone... that would be... cool, I guess. Plus, it would be helpful in defeating Lavos.))
You don't expect him to actually read posts he's not involved in, do you? Don't be unreasonable here. Of course it is completely reasonable for him to assume Mog116 is reading all the posts.
[Cool! A forest! This must be my own Magicant!] All of a sudden, someone approached Pikachu. [Who's there!?]

"Hello, Pikachu. It's me, Meowth! I'm here to guide you to the Sea of Eden. You could call me your own Flying Man!"
I believe that would be a Flying Cat, really. Which is pretty awesome. But then again, "Flying Man" is anthropomorphic anyway, as even the Flying Men in EarthBound clearly are actually Flying Birds. Which is boring.
[Meowth?!]

"Kind of. I'm the Meowth that was created by what you know about me. I'm not the real Meowth, just a figment of your imagination.
There is more than one "real Meowth". "Real" is not a synonym for "official". 
You'll notice the restraint I showed in not making the obvious "Won't the real Meowth please stand up?" joke.
And, unfortuneatly, I can only stay with you until you reach the Sea of Eden, seeing as I'm only in your imagination"

[Right.... I wonder how Poryhedron, Waffle, and Luna are doing.]
Yet another toe in the water to see if anyone acknowledges his existence.
[This message has been edited by Pikachu3164 (edited 05-09-2000).]




Post #839, by Mog116

(You never said I couldn't help, or at least I don't think so.
Right off the bat Mog116 makes a tactical blunder. Tengu Man and Falcon24 don't have the authority to disallow Mog116 or anyone else from joining in, which is the point he should have made in his defense. Or actually the best response is the succinct one: "Bite me." But as we will see, Mog116 is not really arguing a case here, he's just bitching. He has nowhere near spine enough to stand up to Tengu and Falcon24.
Pikachu, you get it after fighting your nightmare. Oh, and by the way, I'm gonna kill myself off now. Well, maybe.
Is that supposed to be a threat? "Don't move a muscle or we'll shoot... ourselves!"
Oh, Falcon By medium I meant 300-400 Damage by Minimum, I meant 100-200 damage)

Pikupo, who was blown into the air and is now hanging just within the gravitational pull, suddenly reverted back to Mog. Then he fell to his doom. Will he live? Where will he land? Do you even CARE? Well, if you don't, I'm dead.
Thank $DEITY for that. Couldn't have happened soon enough, don't you agree?




Post #840, by Anthadd

Anthadd wandered around, revelling in his Magicant. Shop sellers from both Maria and Ness' incarnations of Magicant were clustered around inside the rock houses, peddling various goods at prices he couldn't afford.
It's pretty sad when you forget to bring a pile of money into your own imagination.
As for the Maria reference, Anthadd is invoking Mother 1 there.
Other people from EarthBound , that is, their Magicantian counterparts, were panicking.
"What is it?" Anthadd asked.
"The sky is falling!" one cried.
Anthadd looked up. Indeed, the rock-sun was wobbling, and the temperature was quickly rising.
"Help me! Someone! How do I save the people of this Magicant?"
I guess you didn't remember to bring the ruby slippers, either. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts by Author