IF YOU'RE NEW HERE

Then you're probably confused as all hell as to what's going on. Click here to read the introduction. Then feel free to browse the archive; take note that this blog runs in reverse chronological order, so if you're starting from the beginning, that means you'll start from the oldest posts.

23 November 2009

Posts #166-170: 16 April 2000

Post #166, by michael_cayer

In Canada, michael_cayer was VERY late for the party.
"This machine BETTER work! I spent all night on this!"
He reached for the lever, flipped it, then placed his hand on the Teleportation Square.
FLASH!
Instantly michael_cayer was converted to energy, fired into a satellite in space, and shot down again over Eagleland Island.
FLASH!
"It worked! But I'm really late... what did I miss?"
Question: What would happen if, a split-split-second after he was converted to energy but before he got beamed back down and reconverted, the satellite got blown up? Wouldn't that suck?



Post #167, by Chris

Having seen the crisis below, Chris stopped the ferris wheel and quickly unloaded everyone. He ran over to where the roller coaster jumpers had landed and checked to see that they were okay. Once he determined that all they had suffered were bruises, he ordered everyone out of the park until the safety of the park could be tested. Thus, everyone left the park and started back to the hotel, in search of another party.
I AM CHRIS AND YOU WILL OBEY OR ELSE

I'm not sure he gets how IF works. That or he's banking on his new awsuma admin powa to cower everyone in fear of disobeying for him. Shows you how different things were in 2000; you can imagine how well that would go over now.
Chris and Juliana walked down to the beach, where they saw that a whole crazy party was going on.
Not sure they're going to see eye-to-eye on this whole 'should we or shouldn't we segregate ourselves off into our own little world' thing. Little strongarming here. Before he might have written, 'Chris asked Juliana, 'hey, you want to go down to the beach?' Juliana said...' but now? F--- it, drag her along.
Seeing as how they weren't dressed for swimming, they parted ways for a while to change into something more appropriate for the occasion.
And for Chris to... you know what? Nevermind. I don't have the stomach to finish that joke. Mostly because it probably isn't a joke.
In a large, Olympic-size swimming pool, races were being held.
That reminds me: I vacationed at the Outer Banks in North Carolina, which is fantasically awesome, a couple years ago with a couple different friends. One was a family with five kids, ages 17 down to 5, who pretty much never vacationed; the kids had never seen the ocean before.

While the rest of us were having a swell time playing in the surf, their kids wanted no part of it. They spent most of their days swimming in the beach house swimming pool, not a hundred yards from the shore.

Why the hell would anyone swim in a pool when the ocean is right there?
At the beach, several different sand castles were under construction, while even more craziness was going on in the waters of the ocean. People were running, yelling, splashing, jumping, and just generally having a good time. The two new arrivees quickly joined in on the fun...

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 04-16-2000).]




Post #168, by Little Yoshi

After thanking his rescuers profusley for the rescue, Tim walked off to his boat, and invited Mark and Sir to come and get healed, if they needed it. He then decided he would not go back to that amusment park till it was officaly saftey tested.
Note the conspicuous absence of any reference to Chris. I bet that was an awkward dinner that evening.



Post #169, by Queen Catherine

I yawned tiredly as it was getting late.
Over-emphasis. Either 'I yawned' or 'it was getting late' will do.
Glancing at my watch, it was time for my daily exercises in which I did for hour, in hoping to join the Cross-Country Team. However, I decided to put it aside today and work on it tomorrow.
I left from dance floor ((Maybe with Drew following me, it's up to him)) and overheard people talking about a roller coaster incident. Hearing that everyone turn out ok but with few minor injuries, I decided to talk a walk down on the beach. I watched the others play around...
((Drew, feel free to take over if you want to))
Is there ever any point to QC/PP's posts? We don't need a summary of events here. We just read them for ourselves.



Post #170, by NessJeff

Drew looks at his tourney signup.
"EB... Me. PQ... Me. Oh this sucks!!!! I'll just bring the signup sheet to the beach and the amusement Park. And anyone who signs up for the Paula's Quest tourney gets a free copy!"
To be honest, I can't remember whether Paula's Quest was a real game Tengu was making or not. I think it was one of those RPGMaker deals where Tengu always talked about this awesome game he was making, but never actually did anything that could be construed as making it. NessJeff just would not shut up about it.
Drew runs to the exact spot between the beach and amusement park and yells into a 10-megaphone strength megaphone, "Report to the middle of the island for an EB and Paula's Quest Tourney! Anyone who signs up gets a free copy of Paula's Quest!"
By the way, how exactly do you have an EarthBound tournament?
Drew waits for people to come. The people who come are...
(Anyone can enter, but I am more powerful at both. EB: Paula with 6777+HP. PQ: I fricking made it!)
Oh. Maybe it was something NessJeff slapped together in a day in RPG Maker, then.

Somehow, I suspect a Paula with 6777+ HP would be disqualified from an EarthBound tournament, even if we figured out some way to have one. The maximum obtainable HP in EarthBound without active hacking is around 3700 (which you get by jacking Vitality to 255 before leveling up to L2.)

3 comments:

  1. Max HP with the 255 stats code is actually between 3900 and 4000 HP, but not by much. [/pointless nerdy info]

    Okay, since I see it mentioned a few more times, I suppose I better try to put my two cents in on the whole "Paula's Quest" crap.

    As far as I can remember, I don't recall actually making anything like this kind of game. Although if I had, it probably wouldn't have been with RPGMaker. I had very minimum experience with RM95 at that time, and hadn't even gotten RM2K until I found Don Miguel's translation site by pure accident.

    However I do remember making a inkling of a game I didn't name back then, using RM95. I do know what I'd have called it now, and it would've been something like "The Reign of Quake" or something. It even started off with a totally different cast of new characters, although I DID add EB characters to the roster later as an afterthought.

    Of course, said game was also never completed. I don't remember if it was lost in a crash, or I just gave up on it, but I would've been working on Duke Nukem 3D mods in 1999-2001, not RPG-type games. That's the truth of it, even if you don't want to believe it in full.

    Now, what NessJeff might have meant to talk about what something else altogether, which might have been just a conversation I had with him about a game idea, but I never actually named it anything coherent and it never saw the light of day. :P

    Yeah, sorry for that pointless information, but maybe that answers a couple of questions you might have had [probably not], about "Paula's Quest", or whatever it was called. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you mention it, I do remember you talking a lot about modding Quake and Duke Nukem and such. It's probable Paula's Quest was some crappy RPGMaker game NessJeff threw together in 3 hours... or else a totally imaginary thing, like 32 player SSB.

    But I can still blame you for giving him the idea, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's possible I did give him the idea. He was a avid fan.

    But even if I didn't, it's easier to just say I did give him the idea anyways. XD

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Posts by Author