IF YOU'RE NEW HERE

Then you're probably confused as all hell as to what's going on. Click here to read the introduction. Then feel free to browse the archive; take note that this blog runs in reverse chronological order, so if you're starting from the beginning, that means you'll start from the oldest posts.

18 November 2009

Posts #96-100: 14 April 2000

Post #96, by Luna

Luna was quivering under a table whilest people continued to blink at her.
"I h..h..HATE jellyfish!" She grumbled from her hiding spot.
"Don't worry, we killed it!" a voice came from the door. Jenny and Matt had somehow (Luna didn't really care) destroyed the jellyfish!
"Did it become tame?" waffle asked
Running gag from EarthBound, where you never actually killed anything; that would be far too violent. Instead your enemies 'became tame' or 'went back to normal' or 'was defeated' or 'was totally scrapped'.
"No, we kinda had to kill it. But never fear! It's gone!"
"Yayness!" Luna grinned and jumped out from under the table "This means I can go back to getting some palm trees! I just hope there's no more giant jellyfish. Oh well... I'll bring this Gaia beam and this box of baking sode with me, just in case..." she said, then ran out the door.
"...We forgot to tell her that the body of the jellyfish is still out there..."
A dead jellyfish can actually still sting you, sometimes. True story.
"AIEEEEE!!!"




Post #97, by Earth Bound Ranger

What really got Marks attention was the talent show. Mark had expert knolage in two areas, 1: Nature and plants. 2: Martial Arts.
That's three things! There are only three kinds of people...
Mark was down at the dance hall helping with the various tree arangements, and when not needed, practicing with his sword and his martial arts forms.
Bet that makes you the life of the party. Yoh-wa-wa-wah! Pretty good, eh?
Once he realized that the trees were all set up in their right places, he went back to his room in the hotel so as not to get in the way of everyone. On his way there he saw the body of the large jellyfish, and the screaming girl next to it. He had no idea how it got there, but he knew that they had to get it back out to sea and away from here. He tried to console the shivering girl, (J..J..Jellyfish!) and finally got her back into her room. There he asked for the help of the queen and Matt to help him carry it back out to the ocean. To do this, they needed gloves to avoid the acid it excreated when dieing.
Venom != acid
It would not be an easy task, but it had to be done. What they said was...
(only for Queen Cathrine and Matt to decide)
Ah, the old Tengu standby of dictating who is and isn't allowed to continue from your post.



Post #98, by Mog116

Mog walked towards the beach. He was going to deal with the monsters.
I don't know, man. There's a lot of monsters in that thar ocean.
Then he remembered he had a cell-phone in his duffel bag, the perfect way to get rid of the worrying Parents.
...get rid of them? You're going to use the cell phone to call in a hit on them?
He reached in his duffel bag, pulled out a cel-phone, and called his mom. When he stopped his mom from worrying, he looked around.
It's no problem, Mom! Everything's cool! I'm here on this deserted island with a bunch of 14 year olds, some sea monsters and enormous giant jellyfish! No sweat!
He saw no Giant Jelly-fish, No Kralen, No nothing. But he did hear something. BOOM! He twirled around to face a giant King Krab.
Oh, yeah, Mom, that too. Did I forget the giant King Krab?
He grabbed a Gold-pointed spear out of nowhere, and started to fight.
Gold is about the poorest-suited metal to weapons and armor in existence, being both heavy and soft, which is precisely the opposite of what you want your spear-point to be (to wit, light and hard). This is why there was never a Gold Age.
Mog jumped forward and poked the King Krab in the eye. The KK tried to close his pincers around Mog, But Mog jumped and took off at a run towards the dock. He jumped across a small hole in the dock. The KK destroyed the dock, then got hit by a laser from Tim's boat. "Thanks!" Mog jumped on the side of the boat, and they drove off to find my monsters.
Yeah, most of the posters are officially bored now, and making up random encounters to kill time. A formal dance does not interest them.



Post #99, by Luna

"Stupid Jellyfish..." Luna grumbled "Always following me... I HATE jellyfish. I can deal with starmen, with smilin' spheres of all kinds, snakes, spiders, EVERYTHING... except jellyfish..." She finished, kicking a beachball across her room, which came back and hit her in the face.
I'm not proud of this, but I once got knocked out by one of those inflatable punching things that were weighted in the bottom, so you hit it and it fell down and then popped back up. F---er popped me right in the nose.
"Owchies... now then, I need to figure out a good way to get rid of the jellyfishies that are increasingly following me, and what to wear to this dance which is fast approaching. Where does one get a pink dress on an island??" She wondered out loud.
You just write in that you suddenly remembered that you brought it with you, of course. Or just have one randomly drop out of the sky. Or collect it as a reward after killing a giant jellyfish. This is IF. Pretty much anything works.
"Oh well. I'll work on the jellyfish problem first. Can't have jellyfish attacking me while I'm dancing, now can we!?"
...sure we can!

Luna mentioning dancing--the implication being that she would of course dance with someone, in a pink dress!--should get most of the boys back on track.



Post #100, by Mog116

I posted the hundredth reply! Nyah Nyah!
And it contains only very slightly less useful content than any of your other posts!

This was, I think, about the third or fourth thread on starmen.net, all of them Interactive Fiction, that reached 100 posts. The record at this time was in the range of 240 posts, I believe, far ahead of the second place total of around 120.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I guess I keep forgetting my parts of my past. I keep wanting to think of these old topics as if we're in the present and have 100s of posts for the average, but obviously that's wrong in this case of year 2000.

    Also, I was never a fan of stuff like saying "I'm the Xth poster, I r awesome". Even back in the day. I know, no one cares, but I figured I'd mention that. >.>;

    ReplyDelete
  2. So does that mean you didn't sit there refreshing repeatedly to make sure you got post #200? Sounds like I lose my theoretical bet, then. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps I did do that. I'd like to think I was at least a bit better than that though, even back then. :\

    But probably one of the reasons I wouldn't [thinking as my old self] is that there'd be no story progression for a simple "I got the Xth reply!" post, and thus, mucho annoyances out of me about it.

    Oh, and on a side note, Mog did grow up some over time as I could tell. He and I wrote in an IF sometime later together. Definately different from this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone told me Mog's still around and doing RP groups and stuff. I never really knew him.

    And I was assuming you had a post written and ready to go, and were just waiting to post it as soon as post #199 went up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Mog [I think], Dr.Andonuts [if it's the same one I'm thinking of], SuperSpeedy, myself, and possibly a few others did later work together on one IF in particular back in, I think June 2002 to September 2003, it was called "Frozen", and it was actually a redo of an older IF of the same name.

    I was on there under the name of "Cecil" [my true, current forum name up to the present if you didn't know already]. I'd like to think even if it wasn't me at be best writing, it was still miles above my 1999-2000 level of talent and maturity. And maybe someday I'll annotate that one as well on a blogspot of my own, along with the other one I mentioned, which is "Power of a Dangerous Secret" [if I still have that one, but I do know I have Frozen for sure, as it's a pivotial IF for me for many reasons]

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Posts by Author